Embraer announces bumper 300 aircraft deals worth $15.3bn

Steve Nichols

  • Posted: 17/07/2018

Embraer announces bumper 300 aircraft deals worth $15.3bn

Gasps as new contract announcements brings Farnborough 2018 total to 300 aircraft

Embraer announces bumper 300 aircraft deals worth $15.3bn

Embraer made a host of new contract announcements on Tuesday, bringing its Farnborough 2018 totals to 300 aircraft, worth a total of $15.3bn.

An audible gasp came from the crowd in Embraer's packed media centre after its announced deal after deal with Mauritania Airlines, NAC, Wataniya Airways, Helvetic Airways, Azul, Republic Airways and an undisclosed Spanish Airline.

The deals announced were for:

  • Two firm E175 orders for Mauritania Airlines
  • A letter of intent (LOI) for three E190s for NAC
  • A five-aircraft (three firm, two purchase rights) E195-E2 order for an undisclosed Spanish airline
  • An order for 20 E195-E2 (10 firm, 10 purchase rights) for Wataniya Airways
  • A 24 E190-E2 (12 firm, 12 purchase rights) aircraft order from Helvetic Airways in Switzerland
  • A 21 E195-E2 firm order letter of intent from Azul
  • And a massive 200 E175 (100 firm, with the right to convert to E175-E2, and purchase rights for an additional 100) letter of intent for an order from Republic Airways in the US.

These announcements joined Monday's news that Embraer has signed United Airlines for 25 E175s in a 70-seat configuration, bringing the total aircraft ordered at Farnborough to the magic 300.

An ecstatic John Slattery, President and CEO, Embraer Commercial Aviation, said: "We established momentum with the E1, and are continuing now with the E2. We have an 85 per cent market share in our segment, and that is certainly continuing to move in the right direction."

Demand worth $600bn over next 20 years

And the run of good news has probably not ended. Embraer forecasts demand for 10,550 new aircraft with up to 150 seats worldwide, worth $600 billion, over the next 20 years.

It says the in-service fleet is set to increase to 16,000 aircraft, up from the 9,000 aircraft currently in operation. It also predicts market growth will drive 65 per cent of this demand, while the remaining 35 per cent will replace ageing aircraft.While region-specific outlooks vary considerably, it says efficiency and sustainability remain the underlying drivers of the projected market demand. Embraer says the up to 150-seat segment will form an ever more integral part of the global air transport ecosystem.

 Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.

Steve Nichols

  • Posted: 17/07/2018

Join The Discussion