Topics and technologies shaping the commercial space sector will be on the agenda at Space-Comm Expo from July 7-8
Space-Comm Expo takes place on July 7-8 and will become the UK’s first trade exhibition focused on the commercial future of space.
The exhibition takes place at the Farnborough International Exhibition and Conference Centre and will be accompanied by a speaker programme outlining the topics and technologies which are shaping the industry. The sessions span the length and breadth of the sector, from finance, to the UK’s race to space through its network of potential spaceports – right through to the role of space within the defence sector. The programme will feature speakers from the sector’s leading names from organisations including UKspace and ESA to Airbus Defence and Space and Raytheon UK. The sessions will run alongside the exhibition on both days.
The programme will be hosted in three dedicated theatres – the Keynote Theatre, Downstream Theatre and Small Sats Theatre.
Five highlights from the Space-Comm Expo speaker programme
Financing the Industrial Revolution in Space – July 7, 9:55-10:20am Will Whitehorn, President of UKspace, will be addressing the current challenges and opportunities for the space industry as the keynote session of the opening day.
UK Spaceports: Launching the ‘Great British Space Race’ – July 7, 10:30-11:25am In a ‘Farnborough First,’ four of the seven leaders from potential UK spaceports – from Cornwall to Shetland – will gather in person
to discuss their progress, plans and aspirations for the future. They’ll also be talking about the challenges and hurdles ahead from launches to developing sustainable longer term prospects.
- Chair: Ian Annett, Deputy CEO for Programme Delivery for UK Space Agency
- Melissa Thorpe, Head at Spaceport Cornwall
- Nik Smith, Regional Director UK & Europe at Lockheed Martin Space
- Yvette Hopkins, Executive Vice President, Shetland Space & Security at Shetland Space Centre
- Roy Kirk, Project Director at Space Hub Sutherland
- John Whalley, Co-chair of Space Wales Leadership Group
Innovation and Commercialisation: The Future of Space – July 7, 12:05-12:45pm ESA’s Elodie Viau and key industry guests from QinetiQ, Surrey Satellite Technology, Telespazio UK and Satellite Applications Catapult will discuss the latest Space Solutions, covering telecommunications, integrated applications and ESA programmes boosting the development of the commercial areas of the sector.
Highlights will include incubation supported by ESA, financing opportunities across 5G/6G, optical communications and space security.
- Keynote speaker: Elodie Viau, Director of Telecommunications and Integrated Applications at the European Space Agency
- Nelly Offord Harlé, Business Live Manager – Exploration at Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd
- Jim Graham, Managing Director for Space at QinetiQ
- Dr Geoff Busswell, Head of Marketing and Sales at Telespazio UK
- Lucy Edge, Chief Operating Officer of Satellite Applications Catapult
UK Defence Approach to Space, July 8, 9-9.25am Air Vice Marshall Harvey Smyth, Ministry of Defence Director Space talks about future defence space policy, strategy, cross government and international coordination.
Meeting the UK Military Space Challenge – An Architecture For the Future – July 8, 3:25-4pm Airbus Defence and Space will explore how a collaborative approach will not only meet future space challenges but will drive the sector forward in this session with industry partners from Surrey Satellite Technology and the RAF. The specialists in full space lifecycle from design to manufacturing, operations and service delivery, will discuss how future space can be designed with the user and future threat in mind.
- Chair: Allen Antrobus, Director Military Space at Airbus Defence and Space
- Alan Dawes, Head of UK/US/APAC Sales – Secure Communications, Airbus Defence and Space
- Des Curran, Head of Space Operations and Spacecraft Management Authority at Airbus Defence and Space
- Rachel Bird, Image Processing and Applications Manager at Surrey Satellite Technology (SSTL)
- David Waller, Space Specialist in the Royal Air Force
Click here for the full speaker programme
Click here to register for free for Space-Comm Expo