Image: Wizz Air
In May 2023, Wizz Air carried 5,026,575 passengers, representing a 22.1% increase compared to May 2022, at a load factor of 90.2%.
Wizz Air continued to grow its network and improve its customer offering in May, including:
• Wizz Air announced significant growth in the Polish market, adding the 11th aircraft to its Warsaw base and further expanding its route network from other Polish bases. New routes will include: Gdansk to Copenhagen, Tenerife and Alicante; Katowice to Copenhagen and Alicante; and Wroclaw, Malaga and Krakow to Valencia;
• Wizz Air announced further expansion from Albania, allocating another aircraft to its Tirana base (11th aircraft). This newest addition is enabling the launch of three unique direct routes to Bremen, Valencia and Thessaloniki, as well as increased frequencies on ten other routes;
• Wizz Air announced the launching of two new routes from London Gatwick airport to Prague and Hurghada. It also announced an addition of 800,000 seats to Catania, Italy, adding a fourth aircraft to the base, which will serve seven new routes and add frequencies to nine existing ones;
• Wizz Air announced further expansion from North Macedonia, allocating a sixth aircraft to the base in Skopje. Scheduled for the upcoming autumn and winter, Wizz Air will launch two new routes from Skopje, while increasing frequencies on nine existing routes;
• Wizz Air announced that it operated five flights from Budapest Airport with a 37% blend of Neste MY Sustainable Aviation FuelTM produced from renewable waste and residue raw materials supplied by MOL, an oil and gas company based in Hungary. This project supports efforts to reduce CO2 emissions and prepares the fuel supply system at Budapest Airport ahead of EU SAF blending mandates;
• Wizz Air continuously operates the lowest CO2 emissions per passenger/km among all competitor airlines, with 52.9 grams per passenger/km for the rolling 12 months to 31 May 2023. For the month of May, CO2 emissions were 52.1 grams per passenger/km (8.9% lower compared to same month last year).