ADS publishes annual UK Defence Outlook 2019 and UK Security and Resilience Outlook 2019, jointly valuing sector at £36bn to UK economy
The UK’s Defence and Security industries will come together for DSEI 2019 this week to create the largest ever UK Pavilion at the exhibition.
Industry trade association ADS has also published the annual UK Defence Outlook 2019 and UK Security & Resilience Outlook 2019, showing the two sectors together are worth £36bn to the UK economy and provide 250,000 jobs.
153 companies exhibiting
ADS Chief Executive Paul Everitt said: “The UK’s defence and security industries are world leaders that make a vital contribution to our national security, sustaining hundreds of thousands of high value jobs in all parts of the UK. This week will see our largest ever UK Pavilion at DSEI, where we will bring 153 UK companies to this major international exhibition in London.”
“Global demand for our innovative and advanced defence and security capabilities is helping these important industries to grow their exports to our international allies and partners.”
Findings from the ADS UK Defence Outlook 2019 include:
- The sector achieved an annual turnover of £22.7bn in 2018.
- 135,000 people are employed within it
- The UK defence sector invests £1.8bn a year in research and development within the country and provides 30,000 jobs in design and engineering alone
Findings from the ADS UK Security & Resilience Outlook 2019 include:
- The sector is worth £13.3bn in annual turnover, a 142 per cent rise since 2010.
- 114,000 people are employed, along with 3,000 apprentices.
- Exports have risen to £5.2bn, with cyber security the largest area at 40 per cent of exports, followed by capabilities including critical national infrastructure, policing and counter terrorism